Announcements
Are you a tax professional needing a bit more time to lodge? Check out how to apply online for a deferral, or ask the Community!

ATO Community

Re: First entry on a PR, foreign/Australian Resident for tax purpose while visiting?

Views 411

Replies 3

• A couple were granted a PR last year.
  • They came to Australia in September 2020 to claim the first entry before it expires but do not intend to settle here yet.
  • They intend to spend only a couple of months here as a visit/vacation.
  • Due to travel complications these days, they might need to stay a couple of months longer.
  • All their assets, residency and employment remain overseas where they came from.
  • They are staying in a hotel the whole time, possibly in different locations around the country and do not intend to work or settle here yet what-so-ever.
  • While they are here they took the advise of a friend and opened a bank account, enrolled for Medicare, opened a centerlink account and applied for a TFN. (But haven't used any of them yet)
  • (They realized later that they don't need Centerlink or a TFN yet and requested the Ato to suspend/end-date the TFN for now)
  • What is their tax residency status during this time?
  • The wife gets sick sometimes, Does using Medicare benefits while they are here now effect their tax residency status?
  • Does enrolling for a private health insurance while they are visiting now effect their tax residency status?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Community Moderator

Replies 2

Hi @Nicole1976 

Looks like this is a duplicate of your other question. We will answer on the other one.

3 REPLIES 3

Most helpful response

Community Moderator

Replies 2

Hi @Nicole1976 

Looks like this is a duplicate of your other question. We will answer on the other one.

Replies 1

Hi @KylieATO Seems like there's an error with the website, this copy of my question 'failed' to be posted yesterday, I cannot see any answer the other one. How can I find the answer? 
Here is the only version of my question that was posted successfully and that appears on my activities page.

ATO Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Nicole1976,

There may have been a glitch in the system, however I answered your previous post yesterday, you can view the response here.

If you have further questions please post them on our forum.

All the best.