Announcements
On 7 August 2020 the government proposed further changes to the JobKeeper extension. For more information, visit the Treasury website.

ATO Community

Fuel expenses incurred by employee on company Ute

Highlighted

Views 386

Replies 1

Hello,

My arrangement with my employer is that I get a company car to travel to work sites, however I as an employee pay for the fuel and minor repairs. 

Am I able to claim these costs? I have kept a log book to record business kilometers for the year.

I am getting conflicting answers....some say I can   and some say I cannot.....

Regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @digiledger1,

Thanks for your question!

If the company car is owned, leased or hired by you, then you may be eligible to claim the expenses you've recorded in your logbook.

If the company car is owned by your employer, then you cannot claim any expenses relating to that car using the logbook method.

However, if you have incurred fuel and repair costs when using a borrowed car, you may be able to claim those amounts as Other travel expenses. You will need to keep records of all of these expenses as well.

Hope this helps,

Rachael B.

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @digiledger1,

Thanks for your question!

If the company car is owned, leased or hired by you, then you may be eligible to claim the expenses you've recorded in your logbook.

If the company car is owned by your employer, then you cannot claim any expenses relating to that car using the logbook method.

However, if you have incurred fuel and repair costs when using a borrowed car, you may be able to claim those amounts as Other travel expenses. You will need to keep records of all of these expenses as well.

Hope this helps,

Rachael B.