ATO Community

GST on used goods imported from abroad

Ask a question

Views 85

Replies 1

I am located in the Netherlands and have a small business selling used bicycle parts on eBay.

When I sold a bicycleframe recently to a private person in Australia I noticed eBay added 10% GST on the invoice to the buyer and then subtracted it from the payment made to me. eBay then remits this tax to the ATO.

I wonder whether this is correct since VAT (value added tax) has already been paid when the bicycle was originally purchased in the country of origin.

This is not a new product for which no VAT has ever been paid.

Thank you for response.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Best answer

Devotee

Replies 0

GST is still applicable for second hand goods sold online in Australia but won't have any impact on you. That's a long way to send something!

https://www.ato.gov.au/Business/International-tax-for-business/GST-on-low-value-imported-goods/Infor...
Second-hand goods purchased from overseas may be subject to GST if they are low value imported goods.

When second-hand goods are sold by GST registered suppliers GST will generally apply, just like when second-hand goods are purchased from GST registered businesses in Australia. Sales of low value imported goods, either new or second-hand, can be made by:

a merchant who sells goods
an EDP (such as an online marketplace)
a re-deliverer.
Sales of low value imported second-hand goods by a non-resident individual via an online marketplace are deemed to have been made by the EDP operator. Therefore, the price of the second-hand good will include GST
1 REPLY 1

Best answer

Devotee

Replies 0

GST is still applicable for second hand goods sold online in Australia but won't have any impact on you. That's a long way to send something!

https://www.ato.gov.au/Business/International-tax-for-business/GST-on-low-value-imported-goods/Infor...
Second-hand goods purchased from overseas may be subject to GST if they are low value imported goods.

When second-hand goods are sold by GST registered suppliers GST will generally apply, just like when second-hand goods are purchased from GST registered businesses in Australia. Sales of low value imported goods, either new or second-hand, can be made by:

a merchant who sells goods
an EDP (such as an online marketplace)
a re-deliverer.
Sales of low value imported second-hand goods by a non-resident individual via an online marketplace are deemed to have been made by the EDP operator. Therefore, the price of the second-hand good will include GST
Top Solution Authors