Announcements
Looking for information on the JobKeeper extension? Watch the video in our latest news article.

ATO Community

Getting a centrelink payment along side a casual job. Should I be claiming the tax free threshold?

Highlighted

I'm new

Views 134

Replies 1

I have a casual job where I was working before I was put onto a centrelink payment for studying at Uni. I had the tax free threshold selected for my causal job only now I notice I'm not paying any tax on my Centrelink payments. Should I not be claiming the tax free threshold on my job anymore, or should I be claiming tax on my centrelink payments?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Most helpful response

Dynamo

Replies 0

Safest bet is to claim the tax-free threshold on whichever pays you the most money, then ask the other source to deduct tax.

It shouldn't be too big of a deal if they don't deduct anything for whatever reason, as long as you work out roughly how much tax you'll have to pay at the end of the tax year.

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted

Most helpful response

Dynamo

Replies 0

Safest bet is to claim the tax-free threshold on whichever pays you the most money, then ask the other source to deduct tax.

It shouldn't be too big of a deal if they don't deduct anything for whatever reason, as long as you work out roughly how much tax you'll have to pay at the end of the tax year.