Announcements
The JobKeeper Payment scheme finished on 28 March 2021. Find out what this means for your business.

ATO Community

Gift Cards

Views 3367

Replies 5

If I were to pruchase  a laptop for a home office using a combination of gift card and personal credit card payments, what can I claim as a deduction? The entire amount or only the persoanl credit card part of the payment. Any references to cases or Taxation Rulings would be extremely useful, thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Taxicorn

Replies 1

You claim what you paid for it according to the receipt.

As long as you have a receipt, it doesn't matter if you used a combination of payment methods, it's the total amount that is important.

Don't forget that you also have to apportion it for work v personal and depreciate it over 2 years.

There are NO specific Tax Rulings, decisions, references that I can remember, why should there be?

5 REPLIES 5

Most helpful response

Taxicorn

Replies 1

You claim what you paid for it according to the receipt.

As long as you have a receipt, it doesn't matter if you used a combination of payment methods, it's the total amount that is important.

Don't forget that you also have to apportion it for work v personal and depreciate it over 2 years.

There are NO specific Tax Rulings, decisions, references that I can remember, why should there be?

Replies 0

It would be useful to have that sort of information for my purposes, is all. Thank you for your response.

Community Support

Replies 1

Hi @TashC,

Welcome to our Community!

@macfanboy is correct - if you meet the criteria to claim an expense as a work related deduction it doesn't matter exactly how you paid for the item but that it directly relates to you earning your income.

You can find general information about deduction you can claim and records you need to keep on our website.

Thanks, JodieH.

Replies 0

Hi are there any rulings, cases, or specific sections in the ITAA that justify why the whole monetary value of the item is deductible

ATO Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @JohnSmith186

Its only fully deductible if it costs $300 or less. For items that cost more than $300, or that form part of a set that together cost more than $300, you can claim a deduction for their decline in value.

You can refer to Div 40 of ITAA for Capital Allowances

Ari