Announcements
Looking for information on the JobKeeper extension? Check out our answers to common questions the community has been asking.

ATO Community

Health insurance rebate

Highlighted

Views 551

Replies 3

Hi

The ATO website says:

"How to claim for your spouse

If your spouse has agreed that you should claim their share of the private health insurance rebate (as well as your own), follow these steps to complete your tax return:

1. Enter your private health insurance information in the private health insurance section of your tax return based on the directions in the Individual tax return instructions and write or select tax claim code C.
  2. Using your spouse’s private health insurance statement, enter your spouse's private health insurance information in the private health insurance policy details section of your tax return beneath your information from Step 1.
  3. Enter tax claim code D in your tax return next to your spouse's private health insurance details that you have provided."

However this year (2019) my fund will send the rebate statement direct to the ATO. Will I still be able to claim my wife's rebate?

John

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Arrowmaker2238

Welcome to our Community!

Yes, you'll still be able to claim your spouse's share of the private health rebate if you meet the following criteria:

• You were both covered under the same policy
  • You were both covered for the same period of time
  • You were together on 30 June 2019
  • Your spouse must agree that you will claim.

You can find information on how to completing the Private Health Insurance section of your tax return in myTax 2019 instructions on our website. If you need assistance when completing your return in myTax, you can use the Live chat service for section 3 (Personalise return) and 4 (Prepare return), between 10am–6pm Monday to Friday and 10am–2pm Saturday (AEST).

Thanks, JodieH. 

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted

Taxicorn

Replies 2

Information is always sent to the ATO but you and your wife should still receive a copy of it.

If not ring your provider and ask for one.

Many people receive too much or too little rebate due to income changes and/or the age of the oldest policyholder so it is vital that everybody has this information to complete their tax return.

Highlighted

Replies 1

What worried me was the reply to the same question from the health fund with regard to pre-filled tax returns:

"Thank you for contacting us in regards to the upcoming changes to your tax statements.

I appreciate that you would like to clarify how this will affect the claiming of your rebate, and can certainly provide some more information for you.

Each adult listed on the policy will have individual statements generated, and this will reflect the portion of premiums and rebate applicable to them. Your joint policy with Wife has 50% of the premiums paid for yourself, and 50% for Wife and the rebate is also applicable to each of these premiums.

In summary, you will only be able to claim the rebate for your half of the premiums, and Sandra will need to claim the remaining part for hers, depending on how your tax lodgement is processed."

I assume that I can over-write this while completing E-Tax? My wife doesn't need a rebate because she rarely reaches the tax-free threshold.

Highlighted

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Arrowmaker2238

Welcome to our Community!

Yes, you'll still be able to claim your spouse's share of the private health rebate if you meet the following criteria:

• You were both covered under the same policy
  • You were both covered for the same period of time
  • You were together on 30 June 2019
  • Your spouse must agree that you will claim.

You can find information on how to completing the Private Health Insurance section of your tax return in myTax 2019 instructions on our website. If you need assistance when completing your return in myTax, you can use the Live chat service for section 3 (Personalise return) and 4 (Prepare return), between 10am–6pm Monday to Friday and 10am–2pm Saturday (AEST).

Thanks, JodieH.