Announcements
Are you a tax professional needing a bit more time to lodge? Check out how to apply online for a deferral, or ask the Community!

ATO Community

Home office studio

I'm new

Views 352

Replies 1

Due to the ongoing COVID-19 restrictions in Vic and the likelihood that I won't be returning to the office until next year (and then only part time to allow for social distancing) I have purchased a small backyard office studio to work from. As this is removable, and not attached to the main house, can I depreciate this as I would any other home office equipment?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Sophia77,

It always makes me happy when I see the flexibility people are showing during these difficult times.

As an employee, the studio will need to be on your property to claim home office deductions.  

If you are running a business and you qualify, you can claim business deductions and instant asset write-offs.

All the best.

1 REPLY 1

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Sophia77,

It always makes me happy when I see the flexibility people are showing during these difficult times.

As an employee, the studio will need to be on your property to claim home office deductions.  

If you are running a business and you qualify, you can claim business deductions and instant asset write-offs.

All the best.