Announcements
Looking for answers? Search our popular topics or ask a new question.

ATO Community

How do I report my spouse's info in my tax return when they haven't lodged yet?

Highlighted

I'm new

Views 16844

Replies 4

A first timer here. Just want to know if there is any way I can complete my tax return without my partner's details.  He never finishes his tax return early like me and I don't want to wait for my refund. Online it won't let me complete the form, but if I complete the form without my spouse's income and other info, can I send the tax return in? The usually check both anyway, but will that mean my tax return is incomplete until he completes his?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

Community Support

Replies 2

Hi @athenaali,

Thanks for joining our Community!

@Coffee_upspilt has touched on some good points.

If you don’t know the exact amount at the time of lodging your return, you can make a reasonable estimate. You can use information from your spouse’s payslip or bank account details to help you work it out. Find our more information on our website.

Hope this helps.

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted

Devotee

Replies 0

Hi athenaali

Relationships can be difficult  can't they?

And to add tax to it just seems unfair!

But what I hear you asking is   I can complete my tax return without my partner's details? and will that mean my tax return is incomplete until he completes his?.

You don't need exact figures.

His return will not hold up yours Smiley Happy

https://www.ato.gov.au/Individuals/Tax-return/2017/Tax-return/Spouse-details---married-or-de-facto-2...

Take a look there and look under "Answering the Question"

You will find the following:

Seek the information required at this item from your spouse, whether they need to lodge or not. If you cannot find out any of the amounts required, you can make a reasonable estimate.

You will not be penalised for an incorrect estimate if you acted reasonably and in good faith.

Now you can take a relaxing breath and lodge. You're in control now.

---------------

This is my personal view; I’m an ATO employee who chooses to help out here in my own time.

Please note this is my personal view; I’m an ATO employee who chooses to help out here in my own time.
Highlighted

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

Community Support

Replies 2

Hi @athenaali,

Thanks for joining our Community!

@Coffee_upspilt has touched on some good points.

If you don’t know the exact amount at the time of lodging your return, you can make a reasonable estimate. You can use information from your spouse’s payslip or bank account details to help you work it out. Find our more information on our website.

Hope this helps.

Highlighted

I'm new

Replies 1

A client of mine has advised that they have been separated since the start of 1 July 2017.

What is the definition of spouse for the preparation of her tax return? Do they need to be legally divorced? Live in separate homes?

thanks

Highlighted

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Jeffro,

Welcome to our Community!

If your client was separated from their spouse for the entire financial year and didn't live together on a genuine domestic basis, they don't declare their spouse's details in their return.

You can find more information about completing Spouse details on our website here, or phone us on 13 28 61 between 8am - 6pm, Monday to Friday to speak with an operator.

Thanks, JodieH.