ATO Community

How to ask a question about an assessment

Ask a question

Initiate

Views 234

Replies 4

Hello community

My tax affairs are relatively simple  but there is a significant difference between  the calculated refund in the lodgement form and  the figure in the last assessment notice  (medicare and other obligations have been considered) which i cant work out. I have been through the lodgement information provided (all pre-filled except work expenses and donations)  and am certain it is complete and correct.  I want to find  out why there is a difference, but dont neccessarily want to go down the "dispute resolution" path as it is probabaly a misunderstanding on my part - but this appears to be the only vehicle offered by the ATO  - any suggestions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 1

Hi @garagecowboy,

Thanks for getting in touch!

If your tax return is processed and your Notice of assessment has issued to your myGov inbox, you can contact us to speak with an operator who can provide and explanation of your return and the outcome.

Thanks, JodieH.

4 REPLIES 4

Enthusiast

Replies 1

I would suggest using the income tax estimator that includes medicare levy, HELP debt etc as options.

This is found on https://www.ato.gov.au/Calculators-and-tools/Income-tax-estimator/ and is usually quite accurate.

Alternatively, once your refund/payable has been processed, you will receive a statement that provides a break down of your tax and other liabilities in your mygov inbox.

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 1

Hi @garagecowboy,

Thanks for getting in touch!

If your tax return is processed and your Notice of assessment has issued to your myGov inbox, you can contact us to speak with an operator who can provide and explanation of your return and the outcome.

Thanks, JodieH.

Initiate

Replies 0

Thanks  for your suggestion, but have already looked at this - have tried a couple of calculators and they all come up with the same figure - which  is  more the $500  above the  amount reimbused.  Will try the approach suggested by the other respondent.

best regards

GC

Initiate

Replies 0

Thanks Jodie  - will give that a go

best regards,

GC

Top Solution Authors