Announcements
Worried you’re missing part of your refund? Remember, the low and middle income tax offset isn’t a refund on its own – it’s used to offset (or reduce) the amount of tax you pay. The offset amount you may be entitled to is automatically applied and could range between $255-$1080, depending on things like your taxable income and how much tax you’ve paid.
Still not sure? Ask the Community

ATO Community

I am a casual worker and I get paid fortnightly, will I get taxed with this amount?

Views 740

Replies 4

I am a junior casual worker that gets paid every fortnight. But since I'm casual the amount isn't the same each week it can be very low one fortnight and very high the next. My question is, will I get taxed on an amount of about $1000 when it's a fortnightly amount and when I'm only casual ? I've heard that people get taxed when it's over $900 but that's weekly. So i don't know if it's different for fortnightly. Please help I'm very confused.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 0

Hiya @ronanking,

@SM2304 is correct. On $1000 you will be paying income tax. The most you can earn in one fortnight without having any tax withheld (if you are claiming the tax free threshold) is $722. On $1000 in one fortnight, you should have $66 tax withheld, giving you $934 in your pocket.

That is assuming you are claiming the tax free threshold and don't have any other withholding requirements. For someone who has irregular payments, the system will not always end up with the perfect amount of tax withheld, and could mean you end up in a debt or refund position at the end of the year when you lodge your tax return.

There are multiple calculators and tax tables available on our website. You can see which way you prefer to find out the right amount to withhold.

Tax tables.

4 REPLIES 4

Devotee

Replies 3

Yes, you will be taxed in the fortnights in which you earn 1000

Replies 2

Do I get exactly $1000 then? And then whatever is over gets taxed?
Or does more?

And do I get that tax back even though I don't earn over 1000 each fortnight?

Devotee

Replies 0

You will be taxed on the full amount as per the tax tables

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 0

Hiya @ronanking,

@SM2304 is correct. On $1000 you will be paying income tax. The most you can earn in one fortnight without having any tax withheld (if you are claiming the tax free threshold) is $722. On $1000 in one fortnight, you should have $66 tax withheld, giving you $934 in your pocket.

That is assuming you are claiming the tax free threshold and don't have any other withholding requirements. For someone who has irregular payments, the system will not always end up with the perfect amount of tax withheld, and could mean you end up in a debt or refund position at the end of the year when you lodge your tax return.

There are multiple calculators and tax tables available on our website. You can see which way you prefer to find out the right amount to withhold.

Tax tables.