ATO Community

I'm 19 and trying to do my taxes for the first time. Please Help.

Ask a question

Views 563

Replies 2

Okay, so I made a myGov account, and linked my ATO. They said I didn't have enough details lodged with them to be verified, so I had to call up and get my voice recorded and details and a linking number so that ATO could properly link to myGov. I went onto ATO and I thought I understood how taxes work but apparently I Do Not.

Anyway, I'm looking at it and it's asking me for my tax statements from 2013/14, 2014/15, 2015/16 when I didn't have a job so I just said I didn't have anything to claim. Was that the right thing to do? Why did they ask for it if I didn't work?

After that I made the lodgement for 2016/17 but I was only working for about 6 weeks before the end of the financial year so my payslip and the ATO said I'd been paid something like $1,950 and then $38 was next to it. Was that the total of what they taxed me during those 6 weeks that I just made a lodgement to have returned? Or am I paying that now?

Then I did the lodgement for 2017/18 and that was more like $22,000 and $1,700. Same deal? Am I applying for that back? But this time I have some receipts for uniform and shoes and travel and stuff because the people at the register always say I am supposed to keep them, so I did it but it just asked how much I am trying to claim total back and it was like $300, so do I keep the receipts still? Do people just make up how much they want back or do you have to send proof of purchase by scanning the receipts?

I finished it all and took photos of all the completed lodgement reference numbers, but then when I went back to the home page of ATO it was saying I owed really random numbers like one said almost $550 and another over $6,000 that had an option for me to make a payment. I don't owe that, do I? I thought the taxes are already taken out each payslip? It looks like too much for them to pay me back so I'm really confused

Can someone just tell me if I did something wrong or if it might have been a glitch or something, I am v confusion.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Best answer

ATO Certified

Taxicorn

Replies 1

From the moment you obtain a Tax File Number you need to either lodge a tax return or advise the ATO that a (NLA) non-lodgement advice is required.

In the earlier years if you didn't earn anything and didn't pay ANY tax then it would be fine as a NLA.

2016/17 the $38 is tax that was withheld so because you earned under the tax-free threshold $18,200 you will get that $38 back as a refund.

The 2017/18 one looks as if you have made an error some where.

Based on your taxable income ($22,200 - $300) you needed to only pay $220 for tax, so the difference between

the tax withheld $1,700 and $220 is $1,480. This will be refunded to you.

Receipts need to be kept for 5 years after you lodge your tax return.

Download and use the ATO app (android and ios) as this allows you to take photos and store your receipts.

The deduction you mentioned for travel, you need to be really careful about that one, normally the cost of going to/from work is not claimable.

It is aways best to see a reputable tax agent at least once as they will eplain it all to you and the fee can be deducted from your expenses next year.

2 REPLIES 2

Best answer

ATO Certified

Taxicorn

Replies 1

From the moment you obtain a Tax File Number you need to either lodge a tax return or advise the ATO that a (NLA) non-lodgement advice is required.

In the earlier years if you didn't earn anything and didn't pay ANY tax then it would be fine as a NLA.

2016/17 the $38 is tax that was withheld so because you earned under the tax-free threshold $18,200 you will get that $38 back as a refund.

The 2017/18 one looks as if you have made an error some where.

Based on your taxable income ($22,200 - $300) you needed to only pay $220 for tax, so the difference between

the tax withheld $1,700 and $220 is $1,480. This will be refunded to you.

Receipts need to be kept for 5 years after you lodge your tax return.

Download and use the ATO app (android and ios) as this allows you to take photos and store your receipts.

The deduction you mentioned for travel, you need to be really careful about that one, normally the cost of going to/from work is not claimable.

It is aways best to see a reputable tax agent at least once as they will eplain it all to you and the fee can be deducted from your expenses next year.

Replies 0

it was working smooth on my iPad Pro when it was running on ios 10 however as I have updated to ios 11.3 whenever now I am opening the app it only loads a blank screen on the start up and crashes after a while automatically. How do I fix it?

Top Solution Authors