Announcements
Have a question about JobKeeper? Things are a little different this month so we’ve put together a summary of what businesses need to know.

ATO Community

Incorrect Income Statement

Views 1445

Replies 3

Hi there,

My employer has issued two income statements from the same employer.

The first one is correct and the second one should not be there and has been issued written incorrectly as I should only getting one income statement from this employer. For some reason the employer has issued the second incorrect income statement as an amount I had earned during a period of time through this years current financial year, in addition to the first correct income statement. This thus falsely represents the income I have made throughout this financial year by adding an amount that I have not earned.

Is there a way to dispute incorrectly issued income statements if the employer will not remove incorrectly issued income statements? I'm looking to contact someone that works in this area of the ATO.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Community Support

Replies 2

Hi @vt,

Thank you for reaching out to us. If your Employer has issued an incorrect Income Statement and refuses to amend or cancel it you can still lodge your income tax return based on the correct information. The website advises - A statutory declaration is no longer required.

If you are unable to obtain accurate information from these sources, you will need to estimate your income and withholding details for the relevant employer and include this in your return.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

JodieR.

3 REPLIES 3

Most helpful response

Community Support

Replies 2

Hi @vt,

Thank you for reaching out to us. If your Employer has issued an incorrect Income Statement and refuses to amend or cancel it you can still lodge your income tax return based on the correct information. The website advises - A statutory declaration is no longer required.

If you are unable to obtain accurate information from these sources, you will need to estimate your income and withholding details for the relevant employer and include this in your return.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

JodieR.

Replies 1

Hi Jodie, 

Thanks for your answer. In more detail, what if my employer has issued two income statements, and on the ATO website under the Income Statements tab, it now appears as though I have gained more income than I actually have made? Does this affect the process when I go to pay my taxes as I know I make less than the lowest tax threshold, however due to my employer making multiple incorrect statements, It now looks as though I make more than the threshold.

Thanks!

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @vt,

Thank you for your response. As previously mentioned. If your Employer has issued an incorrect Income Statement and refuses to amend or cancel it you can still lodge your income tax return based on the correct information. The website advises - A statutory declaration is no longer required.

We will accept new information. If it was queried then you may need to provide information as to how you came to those amounts. Which I'm sure you have bank statements for what your actual earnings were.

Hope this clears it up for you.

Regards,

Jodie2.