ATO Community

Individual tax return from overseas, without an Australian bank account.

I'm new

Views 131

Replies 1

Hi,

I have left Australia and closed all bank accounts and I am attempting to lodge historical tax returns online. I do not have an Australian bank account and so cannot progress the returns. I have read in the forum that the bank details can be left blank, however it does not seem possible to do so online.

Is there a way to lodge the returns online without an Australian bank account? Alternatively, could I use a family member's account details.

I am loathed to lodge returns using the paper based system as I have multiple returns to lodge and it will waste a lot of paper (and time).

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @maznguyen,

Thanks for your question!

Unfortunately, you cannot lodge using myTax without valid Australian bank account details. You can't use the bank account details of a family member, as they do not belong to you they will not be considered valid.

At this point in time, your options would be to reopen an Australian bank account, lodge via paper and receive a refund cheque, or seek assistance from an Australian registered tax agent.

If you lodge with a tax agent, they can complete these returns on your behalf online, and your refunds can be processed through their trust account.

Sorry that we couldn't be more helpful, but please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,

Rachael B.

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @maznguyen,

Thanks for your question!

Unfortunately, you cannot lodge using myTax without valid Australian bank account details. You can't use the bank account details of a family member, as they do not belong to you they will not be considered valid.

At this point in time, your options would be to reopen an Australian bank account, lodge via paper and receive a refund cheque, or seek assistance from an Australian registered tax agent.

If you lodge with a tax agent, they can complete these returns on your behalf online, and your refunds can be processed through their trust account.

Sorry that we couldn't be more helpful, but please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,

Rachael B.