ATO Community

Interest Amounts Showing as $0.00?

Ask a question
Highlighted

Initiate

Views 564

Replies 1

Hi, I'm filling out my tax return for 2017-2018 FY as a non-resident for tax purposes with Australian bank interest income. Because tax has not already been withheld I need to declare these amounts and expect to be taxed at 10%. The prefill functionality has inserted the amounts for me and I have verified the amounts are correct. However when I go to the summary screen, the total interest income always shows as zero, and thus the payment owed shows zero as well. Expanding each individual interest source will show the correct amounts, however.

Is there a reason for this or is it a system error? I understand my foreign income will show as zero since it is not considered assessable to tax, but my Australian interest is and I just want to check this won't cause issues after lodging.

Thanks in advance.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @alterego,

Thanks for getting in touch!

We can provide general information there on our Community and we'd need to be able see more information about what you've reported in your return to work out what has occurred.

When you're in myTax completing your return, you can request the Live chat function to the right of the screen which will connect you to an officer who can assist you with completing your return. You can find more information in the myTax 2018 instruction guide to help you complete your return.

Thanks, JodieH.

1 REPLY 1

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @alterego,

Thanks for getting in touch!

We can provide general information there on our Community and we'd need to be able see more information about what you've reported in your return to work out what has occurred.

When you're in myTax completing your return, you can request the Live chat function to the right of the screen which will connect you to an officer who can assist you with completing your return. You can find more information in the myTax 2018 instruction guide to help you complete your return.

Thanks, JodieH.

Top Solution Authors