• 23304 Members
  • 27269 Posts

ATO Community

Interstate FIFO travel expenses to point of hire

Ask a question
Highlighted

Views 1377

Replies 2

I travel interstate for work and pay my own travel costs to and from the FIFO departure point. These costs include return airfares, hotel accommodation and meals and incidentals.

I get paid a FIFO allowance which is reflected on my payslips but not on my PAYG payment summary. This allowance does not cover the costs incurred.

Can I claim any of my expenses.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Gman

Welcome to our Community!

Generally speaking, expenses incurred for travel to and from work, accommodation and food expenses are considered private and can't be claimed as work-related deductions. 

However, as we don't know all the details about your situation, you can check out information about deductions you can claim and deductions for specific industries and occupations on our website for more information. 

If you have further questions, you can phone us on 13 28 61 between 8am - 6pm, Monday to Friday to speak with an operator. 

Thanks, JodieH. 

2 REPLIES 2

Taxicorn

Replies 0

No you can not

Travel to/from work, accommodation & food  is a personal expense.

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Gman

Welcome to our Community!

Generally speaking, expenses incurred for travel to and from work, accommodation and food expenses are considered private and can't be claimed as work-related deductions. 

However, as we don't know all the details about your situation, you can check out information about deductions you can claim and deductions for specific industries and occupations on our website for more information. 

If you have further questions, you can phone us on 13 28 61 between 8am - 6pm, Monday to Friday to speak with an operator. 

Thanks, JodieH. 

Top Solution Authors