Announcements
The JobKeeper Payment scheme finished on 28 March 2021. Find out what this means for your business.

ATO Community

Investment loan for shares tax deductibility

Views 208

Replies 1

Hi there, 

I am looking at the tax implications of using an investment loan from the bank to purchase high yield dividend stocks. As far as I have read, dividends are treated as assessable income provided they are paid out but not if they are reinvested through a reinvestment plan.

So if I understand correctly, if I were to get a personal loan of $50,000 on a 7% interest rate and found a company at a 7% p.a. dividend payout, I could use the $3500 interest payment on the loan as a income tax deduction on the $3500 dividend yield? Assuming middle tax bracket with marginal tax rate 32.5%, I am therefore am left with $1,136.5 earnings, a 2.275% profit on the $50,000 loan.

Does this method work or have I made an incorrect evaluation of how shares dividends can be treated tax wise?

Thanks
Sam

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Devotee

Replies 0

@bigboy123 even if you re-invest it is classed as income. Yes you claim the interest charged as a deduction and the dividend is income added to your income and taxed at the applicable rate. 

1 REPLY 1

Most helpful response

Devotee

Replies 0

@bigboy123 even if you re-invest it is classed as income. Yes you claim the interest charged as a deduction and the dividend is income added to your income and taxed at the applicable rate.