Announcements
The JobKeeper Payment scheme finished on 28 March 2021. Find out what this means for your business.

ATO Community

Is my family member using me legally?

Views 443

Replies 1

Hi guys,

For the past couple of years an adult relative of mine (along with their accountant) has been amending my previous tax returns to make it look like I earnt much more (with my permission). I am a uni student who hasn't been earning much at all, so via a family trust they have been placing some of their income into my old tax returns so that they can pay less tax due the income now being earned at a lower tax bracket. I am just wondering how this operates and if it is legal, if I never actually recieve the money/earn the income that they are saying I do? I know that money can be distributed around like this legally using family trusts, however I just don't understand how they can put down that I have earned a certain amount of money when I never actually see it at all? I am also wondering if them doing this will affect me at all in the future? 

Thankyou in advance for any information or assistance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @EL4

We can only provide general advice on this forum. You may be best to phone us or seek independent financial advice.

The information about Trusts may be of interest to you.

Hopefully this helps.

Gus

1 REPLY 1

Most helpful response

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @EL4

We can only provide general advice on this forum. You may be best to phone us or seek independent financial advice.

The information about Trusts may be of interest to you.

Hopefully this helps.

Gus