Announcements
Are you a tax professional needing a bit more time to lodge? Check out how to apply online for a deferral, or ask the Community!

ATO Community

Re: Linking ATO with mygov

Initiate

Views 86872

Replies 10

Having problems linking ATO to mygov even though I filled out the correct Tax File Number and my name. I've received the following: "We cannot link Australian Taxation Office using the details you provided. Contact Australian Taxation Office for help. (RFM39)". From my past experience calling the ATO I've been on hold far too long so I'd rather avoid calling ATO with a simple thing like linking the ATO to mygov. Any suggestions how to link the two without calling the ATO please?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

Community Manager

Replies 4

Hi @MrsD 

The best way to link your myGov account to your ATO account is by answering two questions specific to you, that you will be prompted with when you make the linking attempt. You'll be asked for two of the following: 

• Notice of assessment from the last five years - if you've ever used a tax agent, they may have a copy.
  • PAYG payment summary or income statement from the last two years - this comes from your employer
  • Superannuation account statement from the last five years - these usually arrive in the mail
  • Centrelink payment summaryfrom the last two years - only related to you if you've been involved with Centrelink, but if so you can get this from Services Australia
  • Bank account - this is any bank account you've had your tax refund paid into in previous years, or earned any level of interest in. Even daily 'spendings' accounts can accrue interest.

If you're having any trouble with entering these documents, we have a comprehensive trouble-shooting guide that should address any of your issues. You can find the error or message you're getting, and then follow the advice on the right-hand side to solve the problem.

This should get you all linked up and good to go. Let us know if there are any concerns.

10 REPLIES 10

Devotee

Replies 1

Hi @MrsD

If the details dont match then you wont be able to link, for example - Have you changed your name ? Is your name on MyGov different to what the ATO has ? It may be that If you’re lodging your first tax return or you're an infrequent lodger, you may receive an error message when trying to link your myGov account to us because we don’t have the information needed to confirm your identity yet.

If the information shown in your myGov profile is correct, you need to update your details with us or you can request a linking code if you havent lodged.

Please note this is my personal view; I’m an ATO employee who chooses to help out here in my own time

Initiate

Replies 0

Thank you for your reply. Appreciated.

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

Community Manager

Replies 4

Hi @MrsD 

The best way to link your myGov account to your ATO account is by answering two questions specific to you, that you will be prompted with when you make the linking attempt. You'll be asked for two of the following: 

• Notice of assessment from the last five years - if you've ever used a tax agent, they may have a copy.
  • PAYG payment summary or income statement from the last two years - this comes from your employer
  • Superannuation account statement from the last five years - these usually arrive in the mail
  • Centrelink payment summaryfrom the last two years - only related to you if you've been involved with Centrelink, but if so you can get this from Services Australia
  • Bank account - this is any bank account you've had your tax refund paid into in previous years, or earned any level of interest in. Even daily 'spendings' accounts can accrue interest.

If you're having any trouble with entering these documents, we have a comprehensive trouble-shooting guide that should address any of your issues. You can find the error or message you're getting, and then follow the advice on the right-hand side to solve the problem.

This should get you all linked up and good to go. Let us know if there are any concerns.

I'm new

Replies 0

I am having trouble with these documents because i just been in Australia for one and half year. How can i get the linking code?

I'm new

Replies 0

What if you don't have two out of 5 of these identity documents? Is there any other documents you can prove your identity with?

Replies 1

Hi mate I need some help I'm trying to get my linken code to set up ATO to mygov

ATO Community Support

Replies 0

Hiya @Michael21,

If you need a linking code, you can contact us on the individuals line.  Make sure you have some identification documents nearby, like a license and Medicare card.

ATO Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Salomo,

So that we can try and help you, we will need more information from you.

Can you please let us know which documents you are trying to use to link the ATO to your myGov account.

Replies 0

Hı,

**Personal information removed by moderator.**

I opened Mygov. I chose the Australian Taxation Office. But I could not open the code because it is not used. Could you please send me a using code