Announcements
We’re in read-only mode while we do some scheduled maintenance to bring you a bigger, better and brighter online community.
You can still search the site to find answers or take a look at our current top 10 questions.

ATO Community

Lodging tax return after marriage separation

Views 644

Replies 1

I separated from my husband in March 2019. We were financially separated with legal consent orders on 12/7/19. I'm assuming that means we were considered married for the first 7 days of the 2019/2020 financial year. Am I considered 'single' after that date even though we're not divorced? How does this affect my tax return? I usually lodge my own return but am wondering if I would be better off seeing a tax accountant this year if it is likely to be complicated???

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Former Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @katrinatryan 

Welcome to ATO Community.

Based on what you have said, you would be considered “single” for tax purposes from the date of your legal consent orders.

Here is some information  you may find helpful if you need to update your personal details with the ATO.

We suggest it may be best to consult a tax professional to help guide you through this.

Thanks

JoA

1 REPLY 1

Most helpful response

Former Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @katrinatryan 

Welcome to ATO Community.

Based on what you have said, you would be considered “single” for tax purposes from the date of your legal consent orders.

Here is some information  you may find helpful if you need to update your personal details with the ATO.

We suggest it may be best to consult a tax professional to help guide you through this.

Thanks

JoA