ATO Community

Re: Lost documentation for shares

Ask a question

Views 70

Replies 4

HI.  I bought shares many years ago and I no longer have the documentation for the purchases and dividend reinvestments.  Is there any way I can get a hold of them so I can work out my CGT when I sell them. 

Another question is some of the companies I bought shares for were later taken over by other companies and I was issued shares in the new company.  How do I go about working out the CGT for them. 

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

TaxTime Support

Replies 0

Hi @jekng

Welcome to our Community.

@macfanboy is correct. They have provided some useful information.

For further guidance about capital gains tax (CGT) documentation requirements, you can check out the record keeping for CGT page on our website.

Also, if a company in which you owned shares was taken over and you received new shares in exchange for your original shares, you may be entitled to a scrip-for-scrip rollover. The rollover allows you to defer paying CGT until a later CGT event happens.

For more information about company takeovers and how it affects CGT, have a look at the takeovers and mergers, scrip-for-scrip rollover page.

If you have any other CGT questions, you should find the capital gains tax section of our website useful.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

ChrisR

4 REPLIES 4

Taxicorn

Replies 3

Can you log on to either Linkmarket or Computershare to see if they info related to them?

Replies 2

Unfortunately it does not show how much was paid for the shares and the history does not go back far enough for some of them.

ATO Certified

Taxicorn

Replies 0

Do you know when you bought them and how many?

If so you could work out, based on historical data, the initial cost base and then you would need to know:

(1) Brokerage fee paid.

(2) Date Dividend re-investment started.

Once you have that information you can then work forward.

Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

TaxTime Support

Replies 0

Hi @jekng

Welcome to our Community.

@macfanboy is correct. They have provided some useful information.

For further guidance about capital gains tax (CGT) documentation requirements, you can check out the record keeping for CGT page on our website.

Also, if a company in which you owned shares was taken over and you received new shares in exchange for your original shares, you may be entitled to a scrip-for-scrip rollover. The rollover allows you to defer paying CGT until a later CGT event happens.

For more information about company takeovers and how it affects CGT, have a look at the takeovers and mergers, scrip-for-scrip rollover page.

If you have any other CGT questions, you should find the capital gains tax section of our website useful.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

ChrisR

Top Solution Authors