Announcements
Worried you’re missing part of your refund? Remember, the low and middle income tax offset isn’t a refund on its own – it’s used to offset (or reduce) the amount of tax you pay. The offset amount you may be entitled to is automatically applied and could range between $255-$1080, depending on things like your taxable income and how much tax you’ve paid.
Still not sure? Ask the Community

ATO Community

Medicare Levy Exemption

Views 1122

Replies 7

Hi

1.I am holding 457 working visa. The government asked ourselve maintain health insurance.

2. I have obtained the Medicare Entitlement Statement for 2019-2020. Have been sent to date matching team at 24 August and 1st September.

3. I am not entitled to Medicare card.

4.I have private health insurance all the time.

But ATO still Deducting 2% Medicare levy , I called to them for many time. Always said we are in process. You will receive a refund soon. But until today no any reply. Almost 2 months! I have been waiting for two 28 days period. 

Operator told me you should amend. 
ok I amended and then cancellation. I don't know who cancel my amend by computer system or some officer. I ask operator they don't know too. Told me no cancel record. Let me Amend again. Cancel again...no one deal with...

like this Client initiated amended Tax return Individuals - Income Tax for the period from 01 Jul 19 to 30 Jun 20

Cancellation of Tax return Individuals - Income Tax for the period from 01 Jul 19 to 30 Jun 20

I have been sent MES to date matching team for 28 days no one reply no one deal with...

I have been amending and cancellation by we don't know who.

I am not entitled for Medicare card why charge my Medicare levy?

Really simple issue why ato need spend two month but still no one deal with this?

I'm really confused. If need any more information, they can contact me. But why they always said in process?but always no result.

I hope experienced tax officials will answer my questions.What problem on this? How the resolve ?

Big thank you in advance.

MK

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 6

Hi @Mike11,

If you have already sent the Medicare Entitlement Statement to us it will just be a matter of time till this is processed. If this has already been escalated you will need to follow this up directly with us. When discussing the matter you can ask how long before it is processed. If they advise you to amend you can do this online.

All the best. 

7 REPLIES 7

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 6

Hi @Mike11,

If you have already sent the Medicare Entitlement Statement to us it will just be a matter of time till this is processed. If this has already been escalated you will need to follow this up directly with us. When discussing the matter you can ask how long before it is processed. If they advise you to amend you can do this online.

All the best. 

Replies 3

Hi 

Thanks for your reply. I have already sent the Medicare Entitlement Statement to Date Matching team at two months ago. NO any news Until today. They advise me to amend I done this online for three times in past two months. But every time by cancel and no result. In Tax>Accounts>Summary>Transactions show this 

24 Aug 2020

31 Aug 2020
Client initiated amended Tax return Individuals - Income Tax for the period from 01 Jul 19 to 30 Jun 20

25 Aug 2020

31 Aug 2020
Cancellation of Tax return Individuals - Income Tax for the period from 01 Jul 19 to 30 Jun 20

26 Aug 2020

22 Mar 2021
Client initiated amended Tax return Individuals - Income Tax for the period from 01 Jul 19 to 30 Jun 20

Do you what is going on for this? what problem?

ATO Community Support

Replies 2

Hi @Mike11,

If your Medicare entitlement statement is not received or processed yet by us, any attempts to amend the return will not work and will be stopped by us. This is why you see your statement of account showing "Client initiated amendment... cancellation...." repeatedly. It's us changing the details to reflect what data we have.

You need to wait until the Medicare entitlement statement is processed. You will need to contact us to follow up on this.

Replies 0

Hi Blake

Thank you for your answer, You solved my confusion on this problem. I have been sent MES email to data matching team at eight weeks ago. Operator told me They have received MES and they will refund at within three days. But no result. Call again They said they don't know why and what problem at system to delay my issue. Every times said Someone's already processing it. But until now no result. I just want to know It's been spent two months and Not resolved yet? Usually when ato receive MES how long is Medicare entitlement statement by processed? 28days?or few months? how should I do now? Waiting or ?

anyway big thank you for your help.

ATO Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Mike11,

Where we have not adhered to our 28 day service standard, you can talk to us about how we can escalate this further to get it resolved for you.

Because this is regarding specifics of your account, we're unable to access your private information by a public service, you will need to contact us to investigate further.

Replies 1

Hi Jodie

If I am already a Medicare Levy Exemption under the category 3 (foreign resident for tax purposes).

I still have to applied for Medicare Entitlement statement or is it not necesserily?

So I just answer the questions like that: 

Were you in one of the following exemption categories at any time during 2020-21?

yes

Full 2% levy exemption - number of days = 365

Were you a temporary resident for Medicare purposes and have a Medicare entitlement statement from Services Australia?

No

Tks

ATO Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Alexandre,

Yes, you will need to apply for the medicare entitlement statement (MES), you can access this via the link. Once we receive it you will not be charged medicare levy on your return. If you lodge your return before we are notified of your medicare exemption, we will charge you for it and you will need to do an amendment. It is best to wait until the MES has issued and is with us before lodging your return. 

I hope this helps, let us know how you go. Smiley Happy