Announcements
Have you sold crypto, shares or property? Our new capital gains tax guide has info about cost bases, calculations & more! Still got questions? Ask the Community!

ATO Community

Medicare levy - partner visa

Views 390

Replies 1

Hello.
I lodged my partner visa when I had 9 months left on my student visa (not eligible for medicare). I applied for MES but was not approved, correspondent said I was eligible for medicare since I lodged my partner visa. This what the letter said.
However there was a period of 9 months that I was not eligible for medicare that I need a medicare exemption statement for my tax return. How can I get a MES for my tax return? What can I do next?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @oojin24

You claim the exemption through your tax return for the relevant period you were eligible. That way once approved it will cover off on the time before you became eligible for Medicare.However before you do that you need to apply for a Medicare Entitlement Statement from Services Australia for the relevant period. See the attached link above it will direct you how to go about this.

1 REPLY 1

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @oojin24

You claim the exemption through your tax return for the relevant period you were eligible. That way once approved it will cover off on the time before you became eligible for Medicare.However before you do that you need to apply for a Medicare Entitlement Statement from Services Australia for the relevant period. See the attached link above it will direct you how to go about this.