• 22066 Members
  • 24643 Posts

ATO Community

Re: My employer has not lodged a tax return for me from2018

Ask a question

Views 71

Replies 4

Hi, I’m looking for some guidance for the following;
My ex employer has not lodged a tax return for me from 2018.
What legal steps can I take?
Thanks in advance for your help.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Best answer

Devotee

Replies 0

Maybe there is some confusion of terminology. I am presuming you mean a payment summary, as the tax return lodgement is your responsiblity.

The ATO provide as page on Lost or Missing payment summaries.

I would first contact - if you have not already -  your former employer. You can also review your payslips, time-sheets and bank statements. Payslip would be helpful here, as they should/would show tax withheld.

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted

Devotee

Replies 0

A tax return is lodged by yourself not your employee.

If you are talking about providing you with a Payment Summary (Group Certificate) then this can be obtained via myGov.

Best answer

Devotee

Replies 0

Maybe there is some confusion of terminology. I am presuming you mean a payment summary, as the tax return lodgement is your responsiblity.

The ATO provide as page on Lost or Missing payment summaries.

I would first contact - if you have not already -  your former employer. You can also review your payslips, time-sheets and bank statements. Payslip would be helpful here, as they should/would show tax withheld.

Replies 1

Yes, sorry I meant payment summary.. My ex employer has not lodged a payment summary leaving me unable to lodge a tax return. Unfortunately to add.. is now not responding to me. Unsure what I can do?

ATO Certified

TaxTime Support

Replies 0

Hi @Karlo,

Both @macfanboy and @JakeE have provided the correct information.

Even if you have not received the payment summary or income statement, if your employer has sent it to the ATO it will pre-fill in myGov.

If you cannot obtain the payment summary from your employer and it does not pre-fill, then you need to use the information that you do have available to estimate your gross income and tax withheld. You should keep a record of your calculations in case we ask you how you came to those figures.

Hope this helps,

Rachael B.

Top Solution Authors