• 22276 Members
  • 25081 Posts

ATO Community

Need for car due to unplanned travel

Ask a question

Views 570

Replies 4

Hi

I'm a teacher who works for one school that has two different campuses. I am expected to be available every day for relief work at either campus and therefore need my car at work to travel between campuses as required. Can I therefore claim for travel to and from work as my car is a necessity?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Best answer

Anonymous

Replies 3

Hi Hannah,

unfortunately travel between home and work is considered to be not allowable even for releif teachers.  

The ATO has a public ruling which addresses this issue for relief teachers pls refer to Tax Ruling TR95/14 paragraphs 156 - 162    refer here - TR95/14

The ATO also have an relief teacher example on their website - https://www.ato.gov.au/Individuals/Income-and-deductions/In-detail/Deductions-for-specific-industrie...

or you can get more information by contacting the ATO on 13 26 81

4 REPLIES 4

Best answer

Anonymous

Replies 3

Hi Hannah,

unfortunately travel between home and work is considered to be not allowable even for releif teachers.  

The ATO has a public ruling which addresses this issue for relief teachers pls refer to Tax Ruling TR95/14 paragraphs 156 - 162    refer here - TR95/14

The ATO also have an relief teacher example on their website - https://www.ato.gov.au/Individuals/Income-and-deductions/In-detail/Deductions-for-specific-industrie...

or you can get more information by contacting the ATO on 13 26 81

Replies 2

Thanks for the prompt reply!

I read the examples but I'm not sure they fit. I'm not a relief teacher, I'm a permanent teacher employed by one school with two campuses about 3kms apart. I teach full-time, but in addition I have to cover for relief if the need arises at either campus (which is often). I therefore need my car at work on standby to travel between each campus if I am asked to cover one of these classes. I know I can claim the travel between the two campuses, but can I also claim travel to and from work as I am required to have my car there so I can travel to the other campus on short notice?

Thanks

Anonymous

Replies 1

You are correct in saying between schools is allowable, but the expenditure from your residence to school and back would still be considered as private in nature.   

I think I did misread your intial question and thanks for the clarification, but the same principles of non-deductibility applies.

Replies 0

Thank you.

Top Solution Authors