Announcements
Halloween costumes are spooky but your tax return doesn't have to be. Don't forget to lodge this weekend!

ATO Community

Non-lodgment advice with ABN that was never used

Highlighted

Views 2790

Replies 9

Hi,

I would like to know if it is possible to use non-lodgement advice if my ABN was never used.

The only reason why the online system doesn't allow me to use the non-lodgment advice is:

• 2018 - 19  ABN exists for this financial year.

My ABN was closed during 2018-19 year and I never started the business (and I stated this fact when I was closing the ABN). Is it obligatory to lodge the income tax in this case, please?

Kind regards,

Elinn

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Most helpful response

Anonymous

Replies 8

Hi @Elinn 

If this was part of a seperate business that also received a TFN as part of the process of applying for an ABN  you will have to notify the ATO that the 2018-2019 return is the first and FINAL return, as the ATO systems will have that seperate entity recorded in their systems and if you take no action you will probably receive a lodgement demand letter for that entity.

You can also lodge this information over the phone by the ATO will ask you a series of security questions in order to positively identify you before they proceed.

If this was an ABN for yourself, and part of something that you were going to do as a sole trader, and you are lodging an individual return then all you need to do is to lodge your individual income tax return / non lodgement advice and you do not have to do anything else.

ATO 13 28 66

9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted

Most helpful response

Anonymous

Replies 8

Hi @Elinn 

If this was part of a seperate business that also received a TFN as part of the process of applying for an ABN  you will have to notify the ATO that the 2018-2019 return is the first and FINAL return, as the ATO systems will have that seperate entity recorded in their systems and if you take no action you will probably receive a lodgement demand letter for that entity.

You can also lodge this information over the phone by the ATO will ask you a series of security questions in order to positively identify you before they proceed.

If this was an ABN for yourself, and part of something that you were going to do as a sole trader, and you are lodging an individual return then all you need to do is to lodge your individual income tax return / non lodgement advice and you do not have to do anything else.

ATO 13 28 66

Highlighted

Replies 7

Hi,

it was ABN for myself (a sole trader). My individual tax is eligible for non-lodgement advice but the system won't allow me to send it because of the ABN existence. 

Kind reagards,

Elinn

Highlighted

Anonymous

Replies 4

Hi @Elinn 

you can lodge the non-lodgement advice over the phone so give the ATO a call on 13 28 61 .... or you can fill in a paper non-lodgement and post in (if you choose this option its always good to have a tacking number so you have proof of postage)

Please note that the ATO will ask you a series of security questions before they process anything for you.

If you find the ATO lines are very busy, just call late in the evening after say 5:30 pm or early morning .

Highlighted

Replies 3

Hi @Anonymous ,

thank you for your help.

Unfortunately, the ATO told me over phone that there is no way I can do the non-lodgement advice with any active ABN and I will have to do the lodgement anyway.

Kind regards,

Elinn

Highlighted

Anonymous

Replies 2

Hi @Elinn 

I thought your said in your first post that the ABN had been cancelled ..

So if you have not cancelled the ABN do it now and then lodge the non-lodgement advice over the phone with the ATO.

Cancell the ABN online here .  (Back date the cancellation if it will let you)

Once you see the ABN as cancelled on the ABR site give the ATO a call..

You can always re-activate the ABN in the future...

Highlighted

Replies 1

Hi @Anonymous ,

the ABN was canceled during the 2018-19 tax year but it was active (active means exists, no matter if the business was running) for some part of the tax year and therefore the ATO told me that there is no way I can do the non-lodgement advice.

Kind regards,

Elinn

Highlighted

Anonymous

Replies 0

Hi @Elinn 

thats interesting I just phoned ATO 13 28 66, and was told I could over the phone (under same cicumstances as yourself) and then they transferred me through to individual income tax line 13 28 61 and was told same and the second ATO officer actually sent a message via internal ATO chat system to the managers and the response was same .. you can lodge non-lodgement advice over phone even if you had an active abn during period.

sometimes it comes down to the ato officer your dealing with and their knowledge base ....

just keep phoning back until you get someone that will process the cancellation  ....

Highlighted

Taxicorn

Replies 1

Best to try and call the ATO and explain.

If not then just lodge a tax return through myTax and make sure that your ABN is cancelled

Check via https://abr.business.gov.au/

@Anonymous 

Never knew you could cancel an ABN online, always had to phone.

The link that you provided eventually went to myGov

Highlighted

Anonymous

Replies 0

@macfanboy 

The link provided goes to the Business Portal, and when you sign in it takes you to the relevat area in the ABR where you can make changes..... 

myGov has a totally seperate log in page