ATO Community

Re: Non-resident partnership deductions

Views 246

Replies 1

Hello,

The information online about partnerships with non-resident partners seems to be scarce and I wasn't sure how it worked after researching online. My friend (who is a resident of Vietnam and resides there) and I (resident of Australia who resides here) wanted to start a partnership in Australia selling clothing. She handles all the business necessary in Vietnam and I handle all the business necessary here with a 50/50 agreement. My question is, how do tax deductions work with a non-resident partner?

For example, if she spent the equivalent (after conversion) of $100aud in Vietnam on stock for the business, would I be able to claim a deduction for $50 of that in my tax return since we have a 50/50 partnership?

To complicate things more, say for example, she had to drive to the factory to collect the stock, I'm assuming we wouldn't be able to deduct 68c per kilometer that she travelled as the cost of petrol there would be significantly cheaper than here. Then the question is, what can I actually claim as a deduction from her side of dealing with the business? Or can I not claim anything from her side?

I appreciate any guidance.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Former Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Yellow2000,

We've answered what looks like a duplicate post from you over at this thread.

1 REPLY 1

Most helpful response

Former Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Yellow2000,

We've answered what looks like a duplicate post from you over at this thread.