Announcements
On 7 August 2020 the government proposed further changes to the JobKeeper extension. For more information, visit the Treasury website.

ATO Community

Novated lease

Highlighted

I'm new

Views 389

Replies 1

Hi,
I currently have a novated lease between myself and the novated lease company. I have then entered into an agreement with my employer to have the payments salary sacrificed. There is a portion of the novated lease payment pre tax and remaining is taxable l. Can I claim any deductions for using the vehicle for work purposes. Thanks
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Chrismi,

Thanks for your question!

Generally speaking, if you have a novated lease arrangement, it means that your employer is responsible for the vehicle expenses and is effectively the "owner", while you lease the vehicle from them. Because you do not technically own the vehicle, then you are not eligible to claim for any expenses that arise from driving it.

If the vehicle is leased and owned by you, and you are not reimbursed by your employer for any of the vehicle expenses, then you may be able to claim deductions.

Hope this helps,

Rachael B.

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Chrismi,

Thanks for your question!

Generally speaking, if you have a novated lease arrangement, it means that your employer is responsible for the vehicle expenses and is effectively the "owner", while you lease the vehicle from them. Because you do not technically own the vehicle, then you are not eligible to claim for any expenses that arise from driving it.

If the vehicle is leased and owned by you, and you are not reimbursed by your employer for any of the vehicle expenses, then you may be able to claim deductions.

Hope this helps,

Rachael B.