Announcements
We're doing scheduled maintenance on ATO Community to bring you a bigger, better and brighter online community.
You may see us go into read-only mode every now and then while we do this. Don't worry! You'll still be able to search the site to find your answers

ATO Community

Re: Nursing registration

Views 810

Replies 4

I've been unemployed for over 12 months, on Jobseeker. 
Can I claim my annual nursing registration fee, union fees, police check & working with children check? Most are requirements needed to apply for a job in the health industry.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Former Community Support

Replies 2

Hi @Mezza 

Thanks for your great question!

I am guessing you are asking if the fees you mentioned are tax deductible? To claim deductions for work-related expenses, there are a few conditions that you have to meet:
1) you must have spent the money yourself and weren't reimbursed
2) it must be directly related to earning your income
3) you must have a record to prove it (i.e. receipts)

There is a great page on the ATO website which has industry specific information, including for nurses and midwives. 

As other deductible work-related expenses, you can claim union fees, and registration fees (annual practising certificate fees). If your police check and working with children check are also related to earning your income, then the cost can be claimed as a work-related expense deduction.

If you are looking for work as a nurse, these expenses are directly related to the employment that you are seeking.

We hope this information can help you!

4 REPLIES 4

Former Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Mezza 

I am guessing you are asking if the fees you mentioned are tax deductible? To claim deductions for work-related expenses, there are a few conditions that you have to meet:

There is a great page on the ATO website which has industry specific information, including for nurses and midwives. There is also a summary tip sheet online which lists all of the expenses you can claim as deductions, and you can check it out here.

As other deductible work-related expenses, you can claim union fees, and registration fees (annual practising certificate fees). If your police check and working with children check are also related to earning your income, then the cost can be claimed as a work-related expense deduction.

If you are looking for work as a nurse, these expenses are directly related to the employment that you are seeking.

Most helpful response

Former Community Support

Replies 2

Hi @Mezza 

There is a great page on the ATO website which has industry specific information, including for nurses and midwives. 

Replies 1

Thanks for your reply.

Does it apply to me though? I need these to both apply for & get a job as they are prerequisites. I have applied for many jobs, but I haven’t actually landed one or ‘worked’ this financial year. Income has been Jobseeker allowance.

Former Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Mezza 

It is important to reiterate that you can only claim the deduction if the expense is directly related to earning your income. We have received a similar question in our Community before. You can check it out here: Deductions for interviews/finding work.

I hope that information can help you!