Announcements
Looking for information on the JobKeeper extension? Check out our answers to common questions the community has been asking.

ATO Community

Re: Old group certificates not on ATO file

Highlighted

Views 140

Replies 2

Hi,

I worked for a business from 2008 - 2012 which has since closed. I need a group certificate for these years as I apparently never filed a tax return for these years (was under 18 years old for most). I have called the ATO and they have nothing from the business. How do I file these returns without a group certificate?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Most helpful response

Dynamo

Replies 0

Hi @Khalie  and welcome to ATO Community!

If we have nothing on file for you, then unfortunately we cannot confirm how much you earned during those years.

The best course of action is to contact your employer (or employers) for those years, and see if they can provide you with your group certificates (a.k.a. payment summaries).

If that is not an option, the second best course of action is to check your bank records, and try to piece together how much you earned during that time. If you are unable to do this, estimating your earnings is the next best thing to do.

As has been suggested, if you know you earned less than $18,200, you can submit non-lodgement advice or tell us that a return is not necessary either online, my mail or by telephone.

I hope this answers your question!

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted

Devotee

Replies 1

You need to estimate your income in that case to the best of your ability. If you were under 18, maybe work out of your income was under the tax free threshold or not - if it was, you could just advise the ATO that you earned under the tax-free threshold and that a return is not necessary

Highlighted

Most helpful response

Dynamo

Replies 0

Hi @Khalie  and welcome to ATO Community!

If we have nothing on file for you, then unfortunately we cannot confirm how much you earned during those years.

The best course of action is to contact your employer (or employers) for those years, and see if they can provide you with your group certificates (a.k.a. payment summaries).

If that is not an option, the second best course of action is to check your bank records, and try to piece together how much you earned during that time. If you are unable to do this, estimating your earnings is the next best thing to do.

As has been suggested, if you know you earned less than $18,200, you can submit non-lodgement advice or tell us that a return is not necessary either online, my mail or by telephone.

I hope this answers your question!