Announcements
Worried you’re missing part of your refund? Remember, the low and middle income tax offset isn’t a refund on its own – it’s used to offset (or reduce) the amount of tax you pay. The offset amount you may be entitled to is automatically applied and could range between $255-$1080, depending on things like your taxable income and how much tax you’ve paid.
Still not sure? Ask the Community

ATO Community

Old tax returns

Views 427

Replies 1

Hello, 

I've recently noticed old unlodged tax returns on the my gov site. 

These are all from when I was under 18 of the tax years of 09/10  10/11 11/12.

I have contacted the ato who have told me the amount I earnt and the tax that was withheld (minuscule amounts).

How do I go about lodging these tax returns?  I obviously can't do it on mytax as the years date back too far. 

I don't want to pay to have these done as the amount I will apparently be getting back (the tax withheld) was under $5 in some of these cases. 

Thanks in advance. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Former Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @ER1,

Thanks for reaching out and understanding your obligations to lodge those!

I agree, with that little amount of tax withheld it wouldn't be financially appropriate to pay someone to lodge these on your behalf especially during these times.

The easiest way is to complete 'Short tax returns' for those years. To make it easier for you I've included the links below for each year. You will need to download and print out the returns PDF file and post them back to us.

09/10

10/11

11/12 

(unfortunately the 11/12 is a standard paper return - short is no longer available)

Send your completed tax return to:

Australian Taxation Office
GPO Box 9845
[insert the name and postcode of your capital city]

For example;
GPO Box 9845
SYDNEY NSW 2001

One extra piece of info as well, paper returns can take up to 50 business days to process.

Good luck with it all!

1 REPLY 1

Most helpful response

Former Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @ER1,

Thanks for reaching out and understanding your obligations to lodge those!

I agree, with that little amount of tax withheld it wouldn't be financially appropriate to pay someone to lodge these on your behalf especially during these times.

The easiest way is to complete 'Short tax returns' for those years. To make it easier for you I've included the links below for each year. You will need to download and print out the returns PDF file and post them back to us.

09/10

10/11

11/12 

(unfortunately the 11/12 is a standard paper return - short is no longer available)

Send your completed tax return to:

GPO Box 9845
[insert the name and postcode of your capital city]

For example;
GPO Box 9845
SYDNEY NSW 2001

One extra piece of info as well, paper returns can take up to 50 business days to process.

Good luck with it all!