ATO Community

Re: Overseas Income of non-residence Partner

Views 455

Replies 1

Hi,

I don't make any income in Australia, however, my husband (not an Australian residence) sends me regular money for family maintenance. I am a permanent residence for the last 3 years but don't have TFN and never make any tex return. Any advice about the treatment of this money if I submit a return? Thanks 

regards,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Former Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @malluqatar 

The ATO website has information on foreign income amounts that are to be included on a tax return. There is also information about what is not included as income on a tax return as follows:

You might have received amounts which aren't included as income in your tax return. However, those amounts may be used in other calculations and may need to be included elsewhere in your tax return.

We classify the amounts you don’t include as income into three different categories:

Under ‘other amounts that are not taxable’ you can see that generally you don’t have to declare child support and spouse maintenance payments you receive.

You should also check the requirements for completing spouse details on your 2020 tax return.

Thanks for contacting us.

1 REPLY 1

Most helpful response

Former Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @malluqatar 

The ATO website has information on foreign income amounts that are to be included on a tax return. There is also information about what is not included as income on a tax return as follows:

You might have received amounts which aren't included as income in your tax return. However, those amounts may be used in other calculations and may need to be included elsewhere in your tax return.

We classify the amounts you don’t include as income into three different categories:

Under ‘other amounts that are not taxable’ you can see that generally you don’t have to declare child support and spouse maintenance payments you receive.

You should also check the requirements for completing spouse details on your 2020 tax return.

Thanks for contacting us.