Announcements
We understand that 2020 has been a difficult year but we're here to try and make it a little easier for you during tax time. You can search other people's posts, read our articles or ask your own question.

ATO Community

Overseas inheritence (from sale of property)

Highlighted

I'm new

Views 215

Replies 1

Hi ATO Community

Hoping for some guidance.

Here's a timeline:

1997 - Uncle 1 and 2 registered as joint owners of a property in Hong Kong (principal place of residence)

2007 - Uncle 1 dies. Uncle 2 becomes sole proprietor (principal place of residence)

2012 - Cousin A is added to the property title, essentially to protect the broader family's interest in the property (family, including my father, paid for the property ... Uncle 2 threatening to leave it to random organisation!) 

2015 - Uncle 2 passes away. Cousin A is sole registered proprietor. Property left vacant pending sale. 

2019 - Purchaser found - sale of property to third party.

I have essentially 'inherited' a share in the sale monies (my deceased father contributed to the purchase price, hence I will be receiving a share of the sale proceeds). I'm confused by the fact that Cousin A was part owner for a period.  

Do I need to pay any tax on this money? What sort of tax? What are the considerations?

Thanks so much in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Best answer

Taxicorn

Replies 0

@Minimix 

So you have basically inherited money, not a share in the property?

If that is the case then there is no tax consequence on inheritance.

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted

Best answer

Taxicorn

Replies 0

@Minimix 

So you have basically inherited money, not a share in the property?

If that is the case then there is no tax consequence on inheritance.