Announcements
Worried you’re missing part of your refund? Remember, the low and middle income tax offset isn’t a refund on its own – it’s used to offset (or reduce) the amount of tax you pay. The offset amount you may be entitled to is automatically applied and could range between $255-$1080, depending on things like your taxable income and how much tax you’ve paid.
Still not sure? Ask the Community

ATO Community

Re: Past refunds reassessed

Views 663

Replies 2

Hello. Just want some advice regarding a past tax refund. Every year I get around $1000 refund however I just noticed in 2013-14 I only received $200. Can I request this be reassessed?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Devotee

Replies 0

Hi @Jacquij21

If you have discovered that you missed something in your tax return lodgement, that process is to request an income tax amendment. 

However there are time limits on income tax amendments.  For individuals the time limits on income tax amendments is generally two years, and for other taxpayers four years, from the day after we give you the notice of assessment for the year in question.

Hope this helps.

2 REPLIES 2

Most helpful response

Devotee

Replies 0

Hi @Jacquij21

If you have discovered that you missed something in your tax return lodgement, that process is to request an income tax amendment. 

However there are time limits on income tax amendments.  For individuals the time limits on income tax amendments is generally two years, and for other taxpayers four years, from the day after we give you the notice of assessment for the year in question.

Hope this helps.

Devotee

Replies 0

No you can’t ask for the return to just be reassessed by the ATO. Returns are generally based on the information you put in there, so you will need to review the information to make sure you haven’t missed out any information that might impact your refund. If you have missed something out, you might want to amend your tax return.
Given it is over 2 years old though, you would need to lodge an objection.