Announcements
Looking for information on the JobKeeper extension? Check out our answers to common questions the community has been asking.

ATO Community

Private health insurance claiming for my partner

Highlighted

I'm new

Views 912

Replies 1

Hi,

Can I claim my partners' private health insurance rebate if my partner does not have any income. My partner does not work and does not need to lodge a tax return as she does not have any form of income and is fully reliant on my income to survive. I pay the health insurance for my partner as this covers her ongoing medical expenses that we could not otherwise afford. In saying this I do not have a private health insurance policy as we cannot afford a family policy. My income falls under $80k and this covers a family of 4. 1 adult, 1 partner dependant on me and 2 dependent children.

I have seen a clause that states that I can claim if we are on the same policy but as above this is not the case despite my wishes for this to be otherwise. 

Any advice is gratefully received

Regards

Sam

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Sam74,

Welcome to our Community!

There are two ways in which the private health rebate can be received, either by:

• a premium reduction which lowers the policy price charged by your insurer, or
  • a refundable tax offset when you lodge your tax return.

You'll receive a private health insurance statement following the end of the financial year which will state whether you've already received the rebate as a way of reduced premiums. However, you may wish to contact the health fund to find out if the rebate has already been claimed.

If the rebate has been received during the year as reduces premiums, there is no rebate that can be claimed in your tax return.

If it hasn't claimed as reduced premiums, you may be able to claim it in your tax return if you meet the private health insurance rebate eligibility. Each adult covered by the policy is income tested to determine their entitlement a rebate and needs to be on the policy to claim the rebate in their tax return.

If you have further questions about the rebate, you can phone us on 13 28 61 between 8am - 6pm, Monday to Friday to speak with an operator.

Thanks, JodieH.

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Sam74,

Welcome to our Community!

There are two ways in which the private health rebate can be received, either by:

• a premium reduction which lowers the policy price charged by your insurer, or
  • a refundable tax offset when you lodge your tax return.

You'll receive a private health insurance statement following the end of the financial year which will state whether you've already received the rebate as a way of reduced premiums. However, you may wish to contact the health fund to find out if the rebate has already been claimed.

If the rebate has been received during the year as reduces premiums, there is no rebate that can be claimed in your tax return.

If it hasn't claimed as reduced premiums, you may be able to claim it in your tax return if you meet the private health insurance rebate eligibility. Each adult covered by the policy is income tested to determine their entitlement a rebate and needs to be on the policy to claim the rebate in their tax return.

If you have further questions about the rebate, you can phone us on 13 28 61 between 8am - 6pm, Monday to Friday to speak with an operator.

Thanks, JodieH.