Announcements
We’re in read-only mode while we do some scheduled maintenance to bring you a bigger, better and brighter online community.
You can still search the site to find answers or take a look at our current top 10 questions.

ATO Community

Re: Proof of CGT history on inheritance

Views 675

Replies 2

I am executor for an estate containing shares and stapled securities which are to be distributed to a number of beneficiaries.  I have reconstructed the CGT cost base history for all holdings.  A couple are complex histories involving change of company name, mergers, demergers, inheritances etc, and some trust units involve cost base adjustments each year since 2001.

My question is : If I give each beneficiary a printout of the spreadsheet I have used to reconstruct each holding's history, will that be sufficient record for them to use as a cost base of their inheritance, or -- do they need copies of original documents to support the spreadsheet data?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Devotee

Replies 1

The more info the better... If you have original docs, provide them (or at least copies of). Spreadsheets aren't "evidence" of anything, but in the absence of actual records are much better than nothing.

2 REPLIES 2

Most helpful response

Devotee

Replies 1

The more info the better... If you have original docs, provide them (or at least copies of). Spreadsheets aren't "evidence" of anything, but in the absence of actual records are much better than nothing.

Replies 0

Thanks for your reply.  I was hoping that there might be an acceptable way of having the spreadsheets "certified" as being a true record of the original documents, so the beneficiaries could have a single sheet of paper (well, two of the histories are each 3 sheets of paper!) to start with.  Looks as though I will have to scan the many original documents and supply them as electronic copies.