ATO Community

Renouncing citizenship Super withdrawal and HELP

Ask a question

Views 41

Replies 1

Hello,

I'm a dual Italian Australian citizen born in Italy. I'm returning to Italy permanently later this year and would like to know whether there would be any implications for my Super and HELP/Fee student loans if I renounced my Australian citizenship. In particular, I'm interested in whether I would be allowed to withdraw my Super.

Many thanks!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Best answer

ATO Certified

TaxTime Support

Replies 0

Hi @FMGIM86

Welcome to our Community.

When you leave Australia later this year, due to your Higher Education Loan Program (HELP) account you will have some additional reporting obligations.

You can find out more about these obligations by checking out the overseas obligations when repaying loans page on our website.

Your annual worldwide income reporting requirements will continue for as long as you have a HELP debt. These reporting rules also apply if you have a VET Student Loan (VSL) and/or Trade Support Loan (TSL) account.

You can also use the study and training loan repayment calculator to help you estimate the compulsory repayment and/or overseas levy for your HELP account.

Regarding your super, you will need to meet a condition of release to access your preserved super. You can read more about when you can access your super on our website.

You will notice that leaving Australia and renouncing your citizenship is not a condition of release. Unless you meet the requirements of one or more of the listed conditions, you will need to leave your super in Australia.

If you are able to access your super, be aware that depending on your age and circumstances you may need to pay some tax. You can find out how tax applies to your super on our website.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

ChrisR

1 REPLY 1

Best answer

ATO Certified

TaxTime Support

Replies 0

Hi @FMGIM86

Welcome to our Community.

When you leave Australia later this year, due to your Higher Education Loan Program (HELP) account you will have some additional reporting obligations.

You can find out more about these obligations by checking out the overseas obligations when repaying loans page on our website.

Your annual worldwide income reporting requirements will continue for as long as you have a HELP debt. These reporting rules also apply if you have a VET Student Loan (VSL) and/or Trade Support Loan (TSL) account.

You can also use the study and training loan repayment calculator to help you estimate the compulsory repayment and/or overseas levy for your HELP account.

Regarding your super, you will need to meet a condition of release to access your preserved super. You can read more about when you can access your super on our website.

You will notice that leaving Australia and renouncing your citizenship is not a condition of release. Unless you meet the requirements of one or more of the listed conditions, you will need to leave your super in Australia.

If you are able to access your super, be aware that depending on your age and circumstances you may need to pay some tax. You can find out how tax applies to your super on our website.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

ChrisR

Top Solution Authors