Announcements
If you haven't been able to get your JobKeeper enrolment in, no need to worry. You can call us until 5 June and we can help you get it submitted.

ATO Community

Re: Self Education

Highlighted

Views 453

Replies 3

Hi,

Me and my partner have a joint account where we keep our savings for buying stuff like home furniture, trips etc. Recently, i have started my masters and used the same funds to pay for the masters. I have claimed that as self study expense. Is that ok? or do i need to pay back my wife her contribution so that " i have paid for it"

Cheers

Ammar

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Best answer

Community Manager

Replies 0

Hi @ammarmp,

When you are claiming a tax deduction we look at the name on the receipt or statement. We don’t look at the bank account transactions as that doesn’t tell us what the money paid for.

Thanks

KylieS

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted

Champion

Replies 2

HI @ammarmp 

It's not important "who" within the household pays for the education, that's really a question for your wife and if she is okay with you using the joint funds for the education.

Highlighted

Replies 1

Yes but my question is that IF she is also contributing to my masters , will ATO see it as " someone else" paying for my masters?

The only way I can claim tax deduction is if I am paying for it. will this be considered as me paying for it?

Highlighted

Best answer

Community Manager

Replies 0

Hi @ammarmp,

When you are claiming a tax deduction we look at the name on the receipt or statement. We don’t look at the bank account transactions as that doesn’t tell us what the money paid for.

Thanks

KylieS