Announcements
The JobKeeper Payment scheme finished on 28 March 2021. Find out what this means for your business.

ATO Community

Share Transfer CHESS to Custodian

Views 359

Replies 3

I'm looking to consolidate my share holdings from a CHESS Registrar (Selfwealth) into InteractiveBrokers (a custodian, not part of CHESS) where I already have the bulk of my investments.

Would this transfer create a CGT event? Both accounts are in my name as individual taxpayer (same details, same TFN). Investments in Selfwealth are a mixture of Vanguard local and international ETFs and Aussie shares.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 2

Hi @praxio,

We have answered a similar inquiry on our forum in relation to this, you can view our response here.

If you have further questions please post them here.

All the best.

3 REPLIES 3

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 2

Hi @praxio,

We have answered a similar inquiry on our forum in relation to this, you can view our response here.

If you have further questions please post them here.

All the best.

Replies 1

Hi Jodie -- I checked that response and they have asked to check with an accountant or with the ATO.

My accountant doesn't appear to know and he has basically said to check with the ATO....

.... are you able to advise?

ATO Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @praxio,

CGT events affecting shares and units includes redeeming units in a managed fund by switching them from one fund to another.

Based on this, it appears this transfer would be a CGT event.