Announcements
Have you sold crypto, shares or property? Our new capital gains tax guide has info about cost bases, calculations & more! Still got questions? Ask the Community!

ATO Community

Re: Sharing receipts with spouse

I'm new

Views 465

Replies 2

Hello,

My wife is currently studying and a requirement of her studies is to perform 60 hours of unpaid placement work. She is also required to purchase items of work clothing, study items and items for activities that are assessed with her studies.

As of yet, she has not had paid work for this financial year and my income has been used to pay for the items she requires to purchase for her placement work and her studying for future work. As she hasn't earned any taxable income and therefore will not be lodging a tax return to claim work expanses, am I able to claim on my tax return the items she was required to buy for her studies?

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Devotee

Replies 0

No, every individual lodges their own return once there is taxable income - you cannot claim deductions on your wife's expenses

2 REPLIES 2

Most helpful response

Devotee

Replies 0

No, every individual lodges their own return once there is taxable income - you cannot claim deductions on your wife's expenses

ATO Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @PRath,

@SM2304 is right.

In order to claim a deduction:

• you must have spent the money yourself and weren't reimbursed
  • it must directly relate to earning your income
  • you must have a record to prove it.

As your wife's income is not yours, you cannot claim a deduction for the expenses you pay for her.

As your wife is on unpaid placement, her expenses are not directly related to her earning income, nor did she spend the money herself, so she can't claim a deduction for the expenses.

You can read more about deductions you can claim on our website.