• 22066 Members
  • 24643 Posts

ATO Community

Re: Spouse and tax return

Ask a question

Views 40

Replies 2

Hi

I have migrated to Australia in the beginning of June 2019. My wife has migrated only in the beginning of August 2019.

When filling my 2018/2019 tax return what should I put as an answer to the question:

'Did you have a spouse during the financial year'

If the answer is 'yes' (we we married entire time even though I was in Australia and she was not) should I put $0 as her income? She did not had any Australian income and she was not an Australian tax resident in tax year 2018/2019.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Best answer

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @DANIELSZ,

Thanks for your question.

If your spouse is a non-resident, and did not earn any income in Australia, their overseas income does not need to be reported.

Spouses income is used to work out entitlements for  things such as private health insurance rebate, seniors tax offset, Medicare levy reduction and Medicare surcharge. None of these are relevant to non-residents.

Thanks

KylieS

2 REPLIES 2

Devotee

Replies 0

You would answer yes and provide her income.

Highlighted

Best answer

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @DANIELSZ,

Thanks for your question.

If your spouse is a non-resident, and did not earn any income in Australia, their overseas income does not need to be reported.

Spouses income is used to work out entitlements for  things such as private health insurance rebate, seniors tax offset, Medicare levy reduction and Medicare surcharge. None of these are relevant to non-residents.

Thanks

KylieS

Top Solution Authors