• 22066 Members
  • 24643 Posts

ATO Community

Re: Spouse taxable income when separated during the year

Ask a question

SB2

Views 21

Replies 1

I separated from my spouse in January 2019, I know I need to include the dates I separated, but my query is when I report his taxable income do I include only 6-7 months of his taxable income when we were together, or do I include his approximate taxable income for the full year? As I cancelled my private health insurance when we separated, and his income is very high, the correct treatment will have an impact on medicare levy surcharge calculation, so I need to ensure I answer the question correctly.

We would have been exempt from medicare levy surcharge when together as we had private health insurance, and if the Tax Office was to then only consider my taxable income once I sepaprated I would be under the threshold and not required to pay medicare levy surcharge, but if they use his total income for the year I will need to pay the medicare levy surcharge on the period we have been separated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

Devotee

Replies 0

You include an approximation of their full years' taxable income.

This is used with dates together to determine liability for Medicare Levy Surcharge.

Their salary should not impact on your liability for Medicare Levy Surcharge once separated.

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

Devotee

Replies 0

You include an approximation of their full years' taxable income.

This is used with dates together to determine liability for Medicare Levy Surcharge.

Their salary should not impact on your liability for Medicare Levy Surcharge once separated.

Top Solution Authors