Announcements
Looking for answers? Search our popular topics or ask a new question.

ATO Community

Spouse with Private Health, I don't, but our combined income is over the threshold

I'm new

Views 183

Replies 1

My spouse has private health insurance (single) who makes $122k, I make $90k with no private health insurance, will my spouse be liable for MLS if I have no insurance? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Dynamo

Replies 0

Hi @R_A_C

If you want to calculate your Medicare levy surcharge you can use the Income tax estimator. You can find the MLS thresholds and rates at Medicare Levy Surcharge income thresholds and rates.

From what you've said your husband would not be affected by you not having an appropriate level of private health insurance during the year.

It appears as though you will have to pay the medicare level surcharge though based on your combined incomes.

I hope this helps,

Cheers, Tanja

1 REPLY 1

Most helpful response

Dynamo

Replies 0

Hi @R_A_C

If you want to calculate your Medicare levy surcharge you can use the Income tax estimator. You can find the MLS thresholds and rates at Medicare Levy Surcharge income thresholds and rates.

From what you've said your husband would not be affected by you not having an appropriate level of private health insurance during the year.

It appears as though you will have to pay the medicare level surcharge though based on your combined incomes.

I hope this helps,

Cheers, Tanja