Announcements
Read our answers to common questions about JobKeeper, Early release of super and Cash flow boost.

ATO Community

Tax amendment

Highlighted

Views 1198

Replies 2

Hi,

I received my tax return today as a working holiday maker, and realised I ticked the box to say that I earned this money from 1jan2017-1july2017 when in fact I earned it last year.
I assume this is the reason I was taxed 15% as opposed to nothing?
If I amend this online, as it is a simple solution is it likely to take long to receive my additional money?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

Devotee

Replies 0

Hi @Ohugh,

Thanks for your question! @Tracey74 is right - if you lodge an amendment online using your myTax account, we aim to process the changes within four weeks.

However, tax may still apply to the income you earned last year, depending on whether you're considered to be a resident or a non-resident for tax purposes. Check out our guide for working holiday makers to help you work it out.

Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted

Devotee

Replies 0

Hi @ohough

When you amend your tax return the service standard is 20 buisness days, I'm assuming you lodged via MyGov?
Not sure if you've checked out the ATO website, please see: https://www.ato.gov.au/Individuals/Tax-return/2015/Supporting-information/Amendment-requests-2015/

Please note this is my personal view; I’m an ATO employee who chooses to help out here in my own time
Please note this is my personal view; I’m an ATO employee who chooses to help out here in my own time
Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

Devotee

Replies 0

Hi @Ohugh,

Thanks for your question! @Tracey74 is right - if you lodge an amendment online using your myTax account, we aim to process the changes within four weeks.

However, tax may still apply to the income you earned last year, depending on whether you're considered to be a resident or a non-resident for tax purposes. Check out our guide for working holiday makers to help you work it out.

Thanks!