ATO Community

Tax cut/relief and existing debt

Ask a question
Highlighted

Initiate

Views 270

Replies 4

Hi everyone, 

I have a tax debt from last year due to my employer not taking out enough tax for my study/help loan. I have nearly paid it off (I'm on a payment plan) but I am wondering how the additional tax relief will work with my situaition. Once I do my tax return, will I recieve the tax cut even though I have a debt? I am hoping so as I'd like to use it towards paying the debt off. I believe with this and my normal tax return I will have enough to pay the debt off and hopefully a little left over. But I have been told to wait until I pay the debt off completely before lodging my return otherwise I won't recieve the extra tax cut. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide me. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Best answer

Master

Replies 0

To be clear, the amount you are eligible for will not be impacted by your existing debt. Yes any refund you get from lodging will go to pay any outstanding debts with the ATO first. Only if there is remaining credits after debts are paid out will you actually get a refund amount.
I had assumed you knew that from your post given you stated you wanted the refund to pay off the debt. I thought your question was more about the actual amount you would be eligible for.
4 REPLIES 4

Master

Replies 1

Hello,
Your existing debt / payment plan will have no impact on you receiving the tax cut. You can lodge any time and the amount you receive as a refund will be the same .

Try this to see how much you may be eligible to get back: https://www.budget.gov.au/2019-20/content/estimator/incometax.htm

Anonymous

Replies 1

Hi @Jess328  @wonka5 

Having an existing tax debt does not disqualify you from getting the new tax offset, and this means you do not have to hold off lodging your return because you will recieve the new tax offset regardless and the amount you receive will depend on what your taxable income is.

When you lodge your 2018 - 2019 return, the ATO systems will automatically calculate the tax offset and it will go towards your total refund for that return.  

However, after your your total refund (including the tax offset) has been calculated the ATO will then apply that refund  to your existing tax debt, which is what you want.  This is clearly stated on the ATO website here  

It then comes down to what your existing debt is and how much your total refund is (with the tax offset), as to whether you will end up with a liability or a refund after its all been processed.

You can estimate how much your refund will be for the 2019 financial year rtn by using this simple tax calculator:- :https://www.taxcalc.com.au/1819.html

This calculator will work out your refund including the new tax offset, just enter your taxable income at the " Enter your taxable income in dollars: " field and hit enter.

Then you can calculate what your net position will be and decide if you want to lodge your return now or later.

Best answer

Master

Replies 0

To be clear, the amount you are eligible for will not be impacted by your existing debt. Yes any refund you get from lodging will go to pay any outstanding debts with the ATO first. Only if there is remaining credits after debts are paid out will you actually get a refund amount.
I had assumed you knew that from your post given you stated you wanted the refund to pay off the debt. I thought your question was more about the actual amount you would be eligible for.

Initiate

Replies 0

Thanks for your response and infomation. 

Top Solution Authors