Announcements
The JobKeeper Payment scheme finished on 28 March 2021. Find out what this means for your business.

ATO Community

Tax deduction for iPad bought in previous years?

I'm new

Views 228

Replies 2

Hi, I got an iPad in 2016 and used it for private purposes. I'm starting my first job next month and I'm going to use my iPad for work.

To what extent could I claim a deduction for it? Also, are any iPad accessories included in the deduction if it was necessary? (screen protector and iPad case)

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Taxicorn

Replies 0

@dd2662 

I am afraid that the effective life of that ipad would have expired by now so it is basically worth $0.

Therefore you can not claim anything for it.

Normally, with assets bought prior to using them for business (work), you would depreciate it down until the date that you started to use it for work. As you can see that will now be worth $0.

Effective life of 2 years.

2 REPLIES 2

Most helpful response

Taxicorn

Replies 0

@dd2662 

I am afraid that the effective life of that ipad would have expired by now so it is basically worth $0.

Therefore you can not claim anything for it.

Normally, with assets bought prior to using them for business (work), you would depreciate it down until the date that you started to use it for work. As you can see that will now be worth $0.

Effective life of 2 years.

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @dd2662  

@macfanboy is correct, as according to our Depreciation and capital allowances tool, computers and computer equipment have an effective life of 2 or 4 years (under 'Table B (generic assets)', 'C assets'). So, effectively, a deduction would not be able to claimed on this, unfortunately. Any claim for computer accessories would be similar also.