Tax deductions for the family car rented out

Ask a question
Highlighted

spr
Initiate

Views 500

Replies 2

Hi,

my wife rents the car out at a car-sharing system (and gets the income), while I do its repairs and maintenance.
Can I claim car-related expenses as my tax deductions ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Best answer

ATO Certified

Anonymous

Replies 1

Hi @spr

Absolutely not, as the car expenditure is related to the car sharing income earnt by your wife and does not have anything to do with the income that you earn.  Deductions are only allowable if someone incurs an expense during the course of gaining or producing their assessable income, provided that is not private, domestic or capital in nature. 

Your wife is the only person that will be able to claim any expenses that relate directly to the income she derives from providing the car sharing service.

ATO 13 28 66   

2 REPLIES 2

Best answer

ATO Certified

Anonymous

Replies 1

Hi @spr

Absolutely not, as the car expenditure is related to the car sharing income earnt by your wife and does not have anything to do with the income that you earn.  Deductions are only allowable if someone incurs an expense during the course of gaining or producing their assessable income, provided that is not private, domestic or capital in nature. 

Your wife is the only person that will be able to claim any expenses that relate directly to the income she derives from providing the car sharing service.

ATO 13 28 66   

spr
Initiate

Replies 0

Thanks, clear !

Top Solution Authors