Announcements
We’re in read-only mode while we do some scheduled maintenance to bring you a bigger, better and brighter online community.
You can still search the site to find answers or take a look at our current top 10 questions.

ATO Community

Tax deductions

Views 729

Replies 2

Hi all, I am an employee. From June to November 2019 I worked in my usual office in Melbourne each Monday, then travelled to Launceston for work each Tuesday morning, returning each Friday night. My employer paid for my accomodation and a hire vehicle in Launceston, while I received an allowance for food and incidentals.

Using the appropriate table on TD 2019/11, I am able to reduce my tax obligation to zero for that period alone. My question is: I can claim similar deductions for the same reasons for the period January 2020 to April 2020, as well as other legitimate deductions for other expenses. Should I simply claim the duductions which reduce my tax obligation to zero or should I include everything?

I know I could use a Tax Agent, but I quite enjoy the process of doing my own tax return, and in this strange new Covid world we find ourselves in I have plenty of time on my hands.

Thank you for considering my question, I hope I get a response.

With thanks, MJC123.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Community Manager

Replies 1

Hi @MJC123,

We would recommend including all deductions you mean to claim in your return to ensure that it is accurate even it some of them won't change the outcome of your return.

Thanks, Nate

2 REPLIES 2

Most helpful response

Community Manager

Replies 1

Hi @MJC123,

We would recommend including all deductions you mean to claim in your return to ensure that it is accurate even it some of them won't change the outcome of your return.

Thanks, Nate

Replies 0

Hi @NateATO

Thanks for your very quick response, I will do exactly that. I guess doing so also has the effect of making similar claims in subsequent returns appear less unusual. I don't know if the ATO thinks like that, but accuracy is important anyway.

Thanks again, MJC123.