ATO Community

Tax deductions

Ask a question

I'm new

Views 541

Replies 2

Can I claim a tax deduction for catering for training sessions that I run that I don't get reimbursed for?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @vivrantc,

Welcome to our Community!

Generally speaking, to be able to claim a deduction in your tax return, it needs to be either a work-related expense or a personal expense, such as a donations or the cost of managing your tax affairs.

To be an eligible work-related expense:

• you must have spent the money yourself and weren't reimbursed
  • it must be directly related to earning your income
  • you must have a record to prove it.

You can find a list of deductions you can claim on our website including certain deductions for specific industries and occupations.

If you have further questions, you can phone us on 13 28 61 between 8am - 6pm, Monday to Friday to speak with an operator.

Thanks.

2 REPLIES 2

Taxicorn

Replies 1

No you can not.

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @vivrantc,

Welcome to our Community!

Generally speaking, to be able to claim a deduction in your tax return, it needs to be either a work-related expense or a personal expense, such as a donations or the cost of managing your tax affairs.

To be an eligible work-related expense:

• you must have spent the money yourself and weren't reimbursed
  • it must be directly related to earning your income
  • you must have a record to prove it.

You can find a list of deductions you can claim on our website including certain deductions for specific industries and occupations.

If you have further questions, you can phone us on 13 28 61 between 8am - 6pm, Monday to Friday to speak with an operator.

Thanks.

Top Solution Authors