Announcements
Looking for information on the JobKeeper extension? Check out our answers to common questions the community has been asking.

ATO Community

Tax exemption for UN income?

Highlighted

Views 209

Replies 2

I am an Australian citizen currently living in Denmark (where I have temporary residency). I have been offered a consultant contract with the United Nations in Denmark. UN income is tax exempt in Denmark, however, am I still liable to pay Australian tax on it?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Most helpful response

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Nic2020,

Thank you for reaching out to us. The response I posted for you previously is still relevant. If you are a resident for tax purposes and you lodge an Australian tax return you may be able to claim a Foreign Income Tax Offset (FITO). Tax you have paid overseas can be taken into accout via the offset. 

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Jodie2.

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted

Champion

Replies 0

The US does not exempt the UN earnings of its taxpayers from taxes. The purpose of the reimbursement system is to place UN staff members subject to taxation in the position they would have been if their official emoluments were not taxed.

Highlighted

Most helpful response

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Nic2020,

Thank you for reaching out to us. The response I posted for you previously is still relevant. If you are a resident for tax purposes and you lodge an Australian tax return you may be able to claim a Foreign Income Tax Offset (FITO). Tax you have paid overseas can be taken into accout via the offset. 

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Jodie2.