Announcements
Are you a tax professional needing a bit more time to lodge? Check out how to apply online for a deferral, or ask the Community!

ATO Community

Tax implications of separation

Views 348

Replies 1

Hi

if I separated from my married partner in August of this financial year (including moving into separate accommodation) what information do I need to report to the tax office either immediately or in my income tax return? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Devotee

Replies 0

When you lodge your 2020/21 income tax return you report that you had a spouse (one of the first questions asked on your tax return is whether you had a partner). However, when you disclose your spouse's income details for the purposes of Medicare etc, you disclose the period you were living together as a married couple, and income she earned during that period. Determining her income during that period may be difficult, but do your best. 

1 REPLY 1

Most helpful response

Devotee

Replies 0

When you lodge your 2020/21 income tax return you report that you had a spouse (one of the first questions asked on your tax return is whether you had a partner). However, when you disclose your spouse's income details for the purposes of Medicare etc, you disclose the period you were living together as a married couple, and income she earned during that period. Determining her income during that period may be difficult, but do your best.